Acacia Wood Facts
Interesting facts about Acacia Wood!
Here are some facts about the Acacia wood we use in the production of our boards:
- Acacia is an environmentally friendly hardwood that grows on all continents.
- Acacia wood is inherently dense which helps make it naturally resistant to bacteria.
- In biblical times Acacia wood was used for bows and boats because of its impermeable strength.
- The Acacia tree is commonly referred to as “The Rain Tree”, which is particularly accurate because when it rains, or night comes, the leaves of the tree fold up and allow the rain to fall through the tree, keeping the grass below the tree green!
- This pod-bearing tree is known for its rich, dark colours which range from honey gold to chocolate brown.
- Acacia wood has an unusual property known as chatoyancy – it appears to change colour and lustre in different lighting conditions.
All Wild Wood boards are crafted from the highest quality acacia wood. Acacia wood is one of the hardest woods available on the world market, and is harder than maple and oak. Acacia is not prone to scraping or scratches, making it ideal for regular use.
Why we love Acacia Wood!
Acacia wood makes high quality, durable chopping boards.
We believe Acacia wood is the best quality wood for our Wild Wood boards due to being very durable and sustainable with natural antibacterial properties. We choose to use Acacia wood for our boards as the innate hardness of the wood is ideal for the kitchen and the home.
Acacia wood has a warm, full grain.
Acacia is also a beautiful looking wood, with the grain colours contrasting between soft honeyed hues and deep, dark chocolates. The full grain is warm, and the natural contrast which occurs in each Wild Wood piece gives them a high-end look which sets them apart from other traditional wood products.
More about our beautiful Acacia wood boards.
When sourcing Acacia wood for use in making our Wild Wood boards, we search for the best quality! Wild Wood uses the heart of the Acacia wood that is harvested as this preserves the grain and presentation. All of our Wild Wood items are designed here in Australia by Janie & Jonathan. Read more about our story here.